There is one DIY piece in my house that gets the most attention. And I have to say, rightfully so, because it’s pretty freaking awesome. We got so lucky making this Growth Chart Ruler, and I couldn’t be happier with the finished product. We actually found this piece of wood painted in this color. It was already distressed. We just cleaned it up. So, other than that, what you see is how we found it!
I’m not sure I’d say it’s a show stopper, but people definitely stop in their tracks when they see it. Is that kind of the same thing?
It’s super easy to make and it’s such a great idea because now you can measure your children, have a beautiful keepsake and take it with you if you move.
DIY Growth Chart Ruler
- 6’x10″x1″ piece of high-quality pine
- Stain or paint for the wood in the color of your choice
- Vinyl growth chart ruler decals (I bought mine from this family on Amazon. Love them, super easy to use!)
- Polyurethane to seal the decals to the wood.
- Paint or stain your wood board.
- After letting the paint/stain dry, apply vinyl growth chart ruler decals according to their directions.
- Seal the decals to the wood with polyurethane to be sure they stay in place.
- Hang on your wall with a sturdy nail and start measuring your little ones!
I talk more about why I love this DIY so much in the video below. I was on The Rhode Show offering ideas for Mother’s Day gifts and immediately thought this would be great to give from dad and the kids!