If you plan on dressing your furkid for Halloween, you are not alone.
PetSmart reports they’re doubling their selection of animal costumes this year. For 2012, the most popular costumes so far are bees and pumpkins.
“Choosing a costume for your pet is like choosing a costume for yourself – you want something that reflects your or your pet’s personality,” author and entertaining expert Kimberly Schlegel Whitman told PetSmart.
Other trends this year range from superheroes to sock monkeys to Bret Michaels. Yes, you read that right. You can dress your pooch up with a wig and bandana! Rock on!
If you’re the kind of pet parent who goes all out for Howl-O-Ween and are actually planning a party for your pooch’s friends, Schlegel Whitman has these ghoulish guidelines for a festive fete:
Party Planning? Make it Spooktacular
* Set up a fake graveyard with rawhide bones and other treats for dogs to sniff and find.
* Embellish pumpkins, setting them out for pets to use as water and food bowls.
* Carve pumpkins in your pet’s likeness, tracing from a photo or online template.
* Create a pet-friendly bobbing game using galvanized buckets filled with water and tennis balls.
* Set up a photo station to capture the fun. To get better photos, have the photographer get down on the floor to snap the pet, instead of from up above.