I’ve always been interested in making my own body care products. Most recently, I made a green tea lotion, lemon sugar scrub and diaper cream.
I’m pleased with all of them, but my favorite product of all three has been the diaper cream. Not only has it been effective on my son’s diaper rash, but it’s versatile and can be used on anyone for dry skin, a rash or insect bite.
If you’re looking for an all-natural, homemade diaper cream, that’s free of zinc oxide, give this recipe a try!
Note about zinc oxide: While it’s in most diaper creams and is widely used in sunscreen, I do know it’s not cloth diaper friendly. So, knowing that, I left it out of this recipe.
I’ll admit, there was a time I had not one of these ingredients in my house. But, once I knew what I could do with them and how many products I could make, I pretty much always have them on hand. A little goes along with way with this stuff!
A quick overview with some helpful information of the ingredients.
- Shea butter – A superb moisturizer with exceptional healing properties
- Coconut oil– Among many purposes, it has an amazing healing effect on rashes or skin eruptions
- Vegetable glycerin– A multi-purpose product, it softens and moisturizes the skin
- Beeswax – A natural thickening aid, it improves the appearance and consistency of your mixture
- Tea Tree essential oil – An excellent antiseptic, it also reduces allergic skin reactions (make sure it’s PURE essential oil)
OK, let’s make some diaper cream!
On medium-high heat, either in a sauce pan or in a glass bowl using a double boiler method, melt the shea butter, coconut oil and beeswax together.
Once that is all incorporated, remove the pan or bowl from the heat and let it get to room temperature.
Next, add the vegetable glycerin and Tea Tree essential oil.
Beat the mixture on high with an electric mixer until creamy.
Pour into an air tight container or jar. If your diaper cream still seems loose or runny, don’t worry, it will get thicker as it stands.
For the containers, I found adorable 4 ounce mason jars at the One Spot section of Target. I bought four jars at $1 each! This recipe fit in the jar perfectly.
- ½ cup of 100% shea butter
- ¼ cup of organic coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. vegetable glycerin
- 1 tbsp. beeswax beads or pellets
- 2-3 drops of Tea Tree essential oil
- On medium-high heat, either in a sauce pan or in a glass bowl, using a double boiler method, melt the shea butter, coconut oil and beeswax together.
- Once that is all incorporated, remove the pan or bowl from the heat and let it get to room temperature.
- Next, add the vegetable glycerin and Tea Tree essential oil.
- Beat the mixture on high with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Pour into an air tight container or jar.
Have you ever made your own personal care products? If so, what did you make? I’d love it if you’d share the recipe!